Liturgy job opening (outside diocese)
The Diocese of Honolulu is seeking a candidate to fill the position of diocesan Director of Worship. The job description follows.
DIOCESE OF HONOLULU
Director of the Office of Worship
The Director of the Office of Worship’s primary service is to the diocesan bishop, the chief priest and liturgist of the local Church, in all matters related to Church liturgy. The Director also instructs and assists clergy and parish liturgical ministers in their work of guiding the People of God in their celebration of liturgy and the sacraments
Reports to: Bishop of Honolulu
Providing Assistance to the Bishop
- Preparing and executing liturgical celebrations of diocesan-wide interests, especially celebrations at which the Bishop presides.
- Collaborating with the Bishop's office on the Bishop's liturgical schedule and the necessary coordination needed with the Minister(s) of Ceremony.
- Communicating with parishes about details, plans, reservations, etc. for the Rites of Election, Chrism Masses, Red Mass, Jubilees, Ordination Masses, Blessing of new or renovated Churches, and other liturgies at which the Bishop presides.
- Assisting with the preparation of liturgical celebrations surrounding the death of a priest or deacon.
- Formulating and implementing liturgical guidelines and policies for approval by the Bishop.
Managing Department Responsibilities
- Preparing and providing the liturgical education programs approved by the Bishop (conferences, workshops, special training sessions, publications, etc.)
- Working with the Office of Religious Education in the formulation and coordination the liturgical education section of workshops and programs.
- Serving as a resource person to priests, deacons, and faithful throughout the diocese in providing information, guidance, clarification of liturgical principles and practices.
- Acting as consultant to parish liturgy coordinators, parish liturgy committees, and other liturgical ministries.
- Serving as consultant to parishes:
- in the formation and operation of liturgy committees
- in the preparation of special liturgical celebrations
- in the selection and training of liturgical ministers
- in the building/renewal of churches or other worship spaces
- in the periodic evaluation of current liturgical practice and planning
- Coordinating the ongoing implementation of the Rite of Christian Initiation of Adults in the diocese.
- Preparing and administering the budget for the Office of Worship and the Diocesan Liturgical Commission
- Providing communication with and/or assistance to:
- groups at the diocesan, regional and national levels
- the Bishop, his delegates, other offices, departments, commissions or committees within the Diocese of Honolulu.
- The Hawaii Catholic Herald
- Serving as an ex-officio member of the Diocesan Building Commission as a consultant on worship space
- Serving as an ex-officio member of the Diocesan Liturgical Commission.
Assisting the bishop with work for the United States Conference of Catholic Bishops (USCCB)
- Providing critical study of the USCCB and its Secretariat for Divine Worship’s liturgical materials, and offering guidance and reflection on issues under study.
- Assisting other diocesan departments with the liturgical dimension of major events they are sponsoring.
- Teaching or arranging for liturgical studies classes in the deacon formation program.
- Maintaining regional and national membership in the Federation of Diocesan Liturgical Commissions and other liturgical organizations.
- Active member of the Roman Catholic faith community required
- Bachelor’s degree in related field
- Advanced knowledge and expertise in liturgical norms, principals and practice
- Minimum of 5 years experience coordinating liturgical events
- Intermediate knowledge of Microsoft Office programs
Other Job Requirements
- Physical requirements
- bending, stooping, reaching, twisting, lifting, pushing, pulling and moving items.
- Scheduling requirement
- entails periodic evening and weekend work.
- Travel requirements
- requires valid driver’s license and mode of transportation. Some overnight travel.
The closing date for accepting resumes is Friday, June 22. If anyone is interested in applying, please e-mail a resume to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Posted in Liturgy on June 13, 2012 by nemis